Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Peaches

25 pounds of peaches, oh my!
peaches and lots of jam
Keith's favorite!
One of the greatest things about talents I think is sharing them with others.  I've always wanted to learn how to "can" and was really excited when my friend Megan Little offered to teach me her secrets.  Well it happens to be peach season, so that's where we started.  We bought 50 pounds of peaches and got to work!  Blanching them, peeling them, cutting them, adding this and that.  Boiling the jam, heating the jars, and the lids, filling the jars and heating the jars in the big pot thingy were just a few of the things involved in this neat process.  Keith's favorite is peach pie.  I had only ever "tried" to make one once, and failed miserably.  This was a good time for me get a great recipe from my friend Diana Cochran and try again.  I am proud to say that it turned out wonderful and received Keith's stamp (fork) of approval.  Next on my list will be salsa, and then apples.  If I survive all of that, then maybe strawberries (yum)  in the spring!  It's always fun learning new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment